As a member of the Program Core Team, the PDL is in charge of the complete engineering of the product and process, in compliance with Quality, Cost, Timing, Performance and People objectives and within PMS requirements. This role is the firm’s technical representative in front of the customer.
The role is very important as it supports the program management at customer in order to achieve the profitability objective of the program and leads the PDCA for technical problem solving.
The scope of your responsibility goes from concept design received from Concept Engineering to Start-Of-Production + 3/6 months (once quality standards have met customer specifications)
- Build the internal engineering schedule to match with the customer master schedule and industrialization / purchasing constraints.
- All tasks are done with the appropriate tools and in compliance with the Program Management System work-packages, Corporate Excellent System standards & 8-Quality-Basics in support of functional milestones.
- Reporting: Monthly report summary on design process template, including risk and opportunities and corresponding action plans.
- Capitalize experience on the development through lessons learnt process
- Lead product definition (completion of CAD) completed by Design Leader and development to ensure compliance to requirements (acceptance of customer product specification including geometry convergence
- The PDL formally releases/approves internally the DATA-levels that are given to the customer
- Make the functional analysis when required, develop the Design failure mode and effect analysis (DFMEA) and complete the action plan, support the Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA), and define the key characteristics.
- Establish and manage the bill of materials.
- Manage engineering change throughout process
- Lead the action plan to solve all technical issues (including perceived quality problems)
- Implement standards and guidelines and manage potential conflicts with customers standards.
- Support risk management through robust design with compliance to product/process design standards managing cross-functional reviews
- Process definition: Ensure the feasibility of the process customers in line with best practices and standards & guidelines, including ergonomics standards.
- Develop & deliver robust tools to operations with optimized cycle time at expected quality level (capability), in line with targeted PPM and scrap level
- Release documentation for the plant (instruction sheet, process data sheet, rework-/mockup- instructions....) with support of the Pilot Plant.
- Responsible for the full validation of the product and process, to reach Production Part and Process Approval (PPAP) on time and in compliance with OEM and legal requirements
- Define the Design Validation Plan (DVP)
- Guarantee successful DVP : virtual validation (CAE) or prototype approved
- Complete successful PV test
- Support development of process capability
- Work in compliance with budget and negotiate with the Program Manager
- Make sure that product target costs meet the program requirements
- Identify all product changes with cost impact to reach design to cost and VAVE objectives
- Control tool tuning costs to stay within budget / under target
- Customer relations
- Ensure good communication within the extended technical team, production plant, offshore development sites, and support teams as well as sub suppliers of engineering services, tooling.
- Degree in engineering, or significant professional experience
- Minimum proven experience in design and development within an industrial environment, preferably on automotive parts
- Knowledge of 8 Quality Basics.
- Leadership skills
- Team leader with strong communication and managerial skills
- Able to work in a multicultural environment
- Japanese Language Fluency (Native Level Preferred) and Fluency in English
* Please be advised that if you do not currently reside or have permission to work in the Japan region, we reserve the right not to proceed.
** Please also be advised that if you clearly do not meet the requirements of the position, we reserve the right not to proceed although consultants will always endeavor to consider your profile for other positions